Looking for a new homemade body butter? You’ll love this vanilla and cacao combination!
Detox. How’s that for a hyped up concept?
As synonymous as the word ‘detox’ is to diets, fasts, and juice cleanses, detoxification is actually a process that truly does deserve our time and consideration.
When stating that someone is “detoxing”, we are referring to the process by which their body breaks down toxins and safely removes them via varied channels of elimination. The body can excrete toxins through the pores in the skin, through exhalation, and of course through bodily elimination.
Now, the purpose of this post isn’t to teach you how to properly support your body’s detoxification efforts (we cover that in our free ebook). The purpose of this post is to focus on the methods for reducing the toxins we come into contact with on a daily basis, therefore reducing the detoxification requirements of our body. As impactful as it is to reduce these toxins, it can be incredibly simple to do: start by reducing the chemicals that come into contact with your skin, aka your largest detoxifying organ.
Why are homemade products a good choice?
Every single day, the average woman is exposed to 168 chemicals through her body products alone (1). Aluminum ridden deodorants and dry shampoos, bleached tampons, and chemical filled lotions – trust me, the toxins are in everything! It was a huge shock to me to actually look at the ingredients of my health food store branded body product, and not be able to pronounce more than a few ingredients.
Each ingredient in this recipe is organic, clean, and chemical free. The texture is totally luxe – you won’t miss your former body lotion for a second! With only 30 minutes of time every 3-4 months, you can bask in the buttery glow and vanilla bean bliss of this creamy concoction.
Vanilla & Cacao Body Butter
Yields: two 4 ounce jars
2 tablespoons beeswax
1/2 cup coconut oil (find organic coconut oil in bulk here)
add 1/2 cup raw cacao butter
1/2 cup Shea butter
1/2 Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean (about 6 inches), split lengthwise (find organic vanilla beans here)
add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
Vanilla and Cacao Homemade Body Butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (find organic coconut oil in bulk here)
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter
- 1/2 cup Shea butter
- 1/2 Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean (about 6 inches), split lengthwise (find organic vanilla beans here)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Melt beeswax & cacao butter over a double boiler. Whisk this occasionally to avoid burning.
- When the beeswax and cacao butter are completely melted, add coconut oil and Shea butter. Stir to combine.
- When all the ingredients are completely melted, whisk well to thoroughly combine. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool slightly.
- Whisk in the seeds (scraped from the inside of the vanilla bean), along with the almond extract. Again, set aside to continue cooling for 1 hour.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the body butter for 1-2 minutes to increase volume.
- Scoop into 4 ounce jars with a spatula (the warmth from your hands will start to melt the butters) and let cool completely to solidify.
- Store in a cool dark cabinet to prevent oils from , and store leftovers in the fridge or freezer for long term storage.
Looking to learn the truth about detoxing? We cover it in detail in our free Ebook. Get your copy below!