Grilled Romaine Salad
This Grilled Romaine Salad is a simple dish to enjoy the beautiful produce that summer has to offer. This recipe is AIP, Paleo and Whole30. It also include an option to turn this into a Grilled Caesar Salad.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time5 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
- 2 heads of Romaine Lettuce washed whole and then cut in half (the long way)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Avocado Oil is a good substitute)
- 2 Lemons cut in half
- Malden Salt to taste
- Avocado Caesar Dressing optional
Preheat the grill.
Brush the olive oil over the flat side of the romaine lettuce.
Place on the grill (it should be screaming hot) along with the lemon flat sides down.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until you see grill marks.
Remove from the grill and place on a serving platter.
Sprinkle the malden salt over the lettuce.
Serve with a squeeze of lemon and/or Avocado
Caesar Dressing (optional).
- The lettuce doesn’t need to be bone dry after washing. In fact, a little water is ok. It will help steam the inner leaves and gently wilt the lettuce.
- Don’t cut the end off the lettuce. You want that to remain so that the lettuce doesn’t fall apart on the grill.
- The grill should be very hot. You want to cook the lettuce hot and fast. That way you get the char without turning the entire head of lettuce into ash.
- I use Malden salt because it’s large, flaked sea salt. It has a very mild flavor so don’t be too concerned about biting down and getting a mouthful of salt. It’s an elegant way to dress up a very simple dish. If you don’t have Malden Salt, any sea salt will do.