This natural pillow spray is perfect for helping you get a good night’s sleep!
A few months ago, my toddlers and I won an aromatherapy basket in a raffle. One of the items in the prize was a lavender pillow spray, and my girls could not wait for nap time to try it out!
WELL… After getting home and spritzing their pillows, I immediately noticed that the spray smelled completely synthetic. I was super bummed to turn the bottle over and read perfume and preservatives as top ingredients. It wasn’t the natural, therapeutic spray I had thought it would be at all! It was basically just a chemical-based air freshener! Not cool, yo.
So, the three of us girls decided to whip up our own pillow spray that would not only use safe, non-toxic ingredients but also ones that might offer some calming and therapeutic perks from using pure essential oils.
DIY Natural Pillow Spray
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1 oz Witch Hazel (could also use Vodka or Rubbing Alcohol if you are down with that sort of thing)
- 1 oz Distilled Water (OR substitute this with an extra ounce of Witch Hazel to lengthen the shelf life)
- 20-30 drops of calming Essential Oils (pick from the suggested oils below)
- 2 or 4 ounce Amber Glass Spray Bottle (like this)
Method & Use for Natural Pillow Spray
To use: Spray 3-4 times onto your pillow before laying down. This mixture contains approximately 2% dilution rate (when using 24 drops of essential oils), which also makes it safe for spritzing lightly onto the body or pajamas of most adults. If you would like to use it directly on pregnant women or children, I would recommend selecting extra-safe essential oils and reducing the dilution rate to 1% (12 drops) or less. Click here to read more about child and baby-safe essential oils.
DIY Natural Pillow Spray
- 1 oz Witch Hazel or you could also use Vodka or Rubbing Alcohol if you are down with that sort of thing
- 1 oz Distilled Water OR substitute this with an extra ounce of Witch Hazel to lengthen the shelf life
- 20-30 drops of calming Essential Oils
- 2 or 4 ounce Amber Glass Spray Bottle
- Use a funnel to add the witch hazel, water, and essential oils into your spray bottle. Tighten the cap, and swirl the bottle around to combine.
Calming Essential Oils:
There are many essential oils that are known for their calming and soothing effects. A few of my favorites are…
- Lavender – This is probably the most popular “calming oil,” and is widely used to relax the mind and body, reduce anxiety and stress, and improve sleep quality
- Sweet Orange – Orange is not just invigorating, it can help give good rest too! Orange oil is said to reduce stress hormones, uplift the mood, and calm the body
- Bergamot – This rest-promoting oil is said to impart cheery effects as well as calming the mind/body and lowering anxiety
- Frankincense – This oil is praised for its stress-relieving properties and its ablity to impart peace and relaxation.
- Roman Chamomile – Chamomile is another popular oil for its mild sedative properties. It may help to calm the nerves and promote relaxation and a feeling of calm.
- Cedarwood – This oil is often used for its soothing and calming effects on the mind, and is said to relieve tension and anxiety.
- Vetiver – A great calming oil to try… some have even claimed that this oil successfully treated their insomnia naturally. Vetiver also claims grounding and calming effects on emotions, and soothing effects on the body.
- Geranium – This soothing oil has been known to help with anxiety, depression, and balancing emotions.
An effective Calming Blend that is both Kid-safe and Pregnancy-safe is:
- 3 parts Lavender
- 2 parts Sweet Orange
- 2 parts Roman Chamomile
Do those three ingredients look familiar? They should! They are also used in my Jawline Teething Potion!
Happy DIY’ing, y’all! Which calming oils will you be adding into your Sleep Tight Pillow Spray?