Celebrate the holiday season with these chocolate peppermint coconut macaroons! These festive cookies are indulgent, yet healthy and make a delightful holiday treat. No gluten, grains or dairy either.
I love holiday treats and baking, and always make at least a few different things every holiday season. These chocolate peppermint coconut macaroons are my newest creation, and I’m a big fan. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and mint!
These cookies are made in one-bowl and the ingredients include unsweetened shredded coconut, cocoa powder, egg whites, raw honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, sea salt and bittersweet dark chocolate chips. To make these, it’s as simple as mix, shape and bake!
After baking, dip the cookies in melted chocolate and drizzle some on top too. For fun, I took the decorating a step further and garnished with some organic, naturally-dyed decorating sugar. This is completely optional though, and simply adds a little color and crunch.
Please know, shaping and handling the cookies is a little finicky, but not too bad once you get the hang of it. It definitely calls for a delicate hand though. After baking, they are a bit sturdier too, but some delicacy is still necessary.
If peppermint isn’t your thing, these can easily be made without it too. Then, you’ll be left with a straight-up chocolate coconut macaroon. In this case, I recommend upping the vanilla extract to a full teaspoon.
Interested in other festive holiday treat recipes? Check out my gingerbread snickerdoodle cookies and gingerbread almond butter buckeyes.
Cheers and enjoy!
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chocolate Peppermint Coconut Macaroons
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, scoop the mixture into tablespoon-size scoops (helps to push the mixture down inside the tablespoon, so it will hold together) and place on lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until tops and bottom edges are light golden brown.
- While macaroons are cooling, melt dark chocolate chips in double boiler over medium-low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and carefully dip the bottom of each macaroon in the melted chocolate. Place back on parchment-lined baking sheet to set. Drizzle any extra melted chocolate on top or melt extra for drizzling on top, if desired.