Honey Za’atar Roasted Carrots are full of tangy, savory and sweet flavor. Between the caramelization, honey and spices, you won’t be able to get enough of this healthy side dish! Gluten-free & paleo.
These honey za’atar roasted carrots might as well be carrot candy. Between the caramelization, spices and sweetness of the honey and carrots, I cannot get enough. So, on that note, let’s dive into the recipe!
First off, you’ll need to source some za’atar spice blend. Many stores carry it and I’ve seen recipes to make it at home, too. For those unfamiliar, za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend usually consisting of dried thyme, sesame seeds, sumac and salt. But, it can also be found with oregano, cumin or marjoram. It’s flavor is unique — both tangy and aromatic. Word of warning though: sometimes, za’atar can contain toasted wheat, so please check the ingredients.
I was fortunate to receive the creme de la creme of za’atar. My husband’s friend gave us the real deal from Israel, after he traveled there last year. It’s the best za’atar I’ve ever tasted.
Meanwhile, this recipe is very easy. The carrots get coated with avocado oil, za’atar, lemon juice, cumin seeds, granulated garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Then, they get placed on a HOT baking sheet that preheated with the oven. This allows for more even roasting and better caramelization. Don’t skip it.
Toward the end of roasting, the carrots get drizzled with raw honey and then go back in the oven just long enough to caramelize even more. The result is insane. Serve the carrots immediately after roasting for the best flavor. I definitely recommend the lemon zest and fresh parsley garnish, too.
These carrots are great to serve anytime, of course, but I think they’re especially perfect for Easter and springtime, in general. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Cheers and enjoy!
Honey Za’atar Roasted Carrots
- 3 lb carrots with some green stems showing, cleaned and scrubbed
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp za’atar spice blend
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- Fresh lemon zest
- Fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place baking sheet in oven as it preheats.
- Place carrots in a shallow dish and add avocado oil, lemon juice, za’atar, cumin seeds, granulated garlic, sea salt and black pepper. Use hands to mix and coat with mixture.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and add seasoned carrots in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, giving a shake to the pan halfway through.
- Drizzle honey over carrots and place back in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh lemon zest and chopped Italian parsley. Serve immediately.