image via flikr
Before we jump into this post, that I am oh so excited about, I want to share some other news of the day with you! I had the pleasure of joining the Balanced Bites podcast this week to talk all about Paleo motherhood. I finally listened to it today. I dread listening to myself. Is anyone else like this? It’s so awkward! I say um a ton and I even shuffle through my notes! So embarrassing. I am a big fan of the Balanced Bites podcast and I have been listening to it since its inception! I actually remember when the first episode aired. So, anyway I was a lot honored to be on and a tad bit nervous. It’s worth listening to though. We share tons of good info on nutrition for fertility, pregnancy and babies!
We recently had such a great conversation on facebook about Paleo tips and tricks! You all shared such amazing advice, that I thought it was worth posting here for those that missed it. I love that about facebook… that instead of just one person answering, a bunch of smart brains can come together and offer so much different insight.
Vanessa asked… “I am very new to Paleo and wondering what advice you can pass on that you live by daily?”
And here is what we all had to say…
30 Paleo Tips & Tricks to Live By
1. Plan out meals several days in advance. This is especially helpful when you are new.
2. Cook meat in bulk. The slow cooker is a great tool for this.
3. Dedicate time to prep your meals ever week.
4. Prep meals in advance. Chop up ingredients. Pre-portion for the week.
5. Well stocked fridge is key! Keep hard-boiled eggs, smoked salmon and chicken salad on hand.
6. Eat homemade broth regularly to boost your immune system and give you strength. Use it as a base for soups and stews, or drink straight from a mug.
7. Remember: this is worth the initial adjustment period. It really is. The reason we long-timers appear over-enthusiastic at times, is because we feel soooo much better.
8. Stick to you guns and you WILL be successful.
9. Don’t sacrifice better in the conquest of best.
10. Stop trying to be perfect. Instead be real about the journey.
11. Going paleo is not a ‘flip the switch’ decision for most. It takes time to adjust.
12. Take the time to remember why you are doing this, check in with yourself and be proud of the choices you have made.
13. Be proud, be passionate, and be prepared!
14. When you make dinner, make extra for lunch the next day.
15. Read labels.
16. Join Paleo facebook pages. The support and info on Facebook alone is amazing.
17. It all seems so overwhelming at first, but it is sooo worth it.
18. Take it one day at a time. It gets easier and it gets better.
19. Pick a new recipe or two, once a week to make for dinner. It helps avoid boredom at bay and keeps Paleo interesting.
20. Dinner leftovers for breakfast!
21. As far as substitutes go, do not look into how to substitute the food you once ate. No need to mourn the loss of food that makes you sick . Look forward to new horizons.
22. One of the hardest things about eating Paleo is the social pressure to eat junk. Always have a plan before going to social gatherings!
23. Eat a satisfying meal before you go to parties so you don’t get tempted by unhealthy choices.
24. If it is a pot luck bring plenty of your own dish because you might end up eating only from your own plate (I would add that your Paleo dish will be so tasty that it will be the first to go! 🙂
25. If you don’t already eat organ meats, I recommend starting. Even the organ meats from organic, pastured animals are super cheap. Offal is chock full of nutrients.
27. Read and follow Paleo blogs and books regularly. The more paleo in your head, the easier it is to stick with your new lifestyle!
28. Use your crock-pot and always have leftovers on hand in the fridge or freezer.
29. Don’t forget your non-starchy veggies. Cook a bunch of green with some yummy fat like garlic ghee and then eat some each day along with your meals.
30. Remember to get lots of sleep, fresh air, exercise and down time!
Did we miss anything? If so, leave it in the comments below!