I recently finished reading Living Paleo for Dummies by Dr. Kellyann Petrucci and Melissa Joulawan of The Clohtes Make the Girl. I had actually received the copy to review well over a month ago, but it took me so long to get to writing because I read this book cover to cover. I am a terrible skimmer, which was the reason why I was always so behind on my homework in college. I am afraid that if I skim, I might miss something really important. Plus, this book was a great read and I was enjoying reading it! So, why rush?
Living Paleo is perfect for anyone that doesn’t know much or even anything about the paleo diet, but is interested in trying it out. It answers every quesiton any paleo newbie or soon-to-be newbie has ever asked me. Have you considered trying the paleo diet, but you are unsure about eating so much cholesterol or consuming fats? Or are you unsure about how to exercise? This book answers all of these questions, plus so many more.
Here are some of the things I loved most about this book:
- The upbeat, encouraging tone. It engages the reader and gets them excited about trying the paleo diet. I have been following a paleo diet for 4 years and have read many many books on the topic. This book still managed to get me excited about the paleo lifestyle and it even encouraged me to clean up my act. As a result, I have given up fruit leather and dried fruit for the time being. These are the treats that I personally overindulge in, especially when I am stressed.
- Takes a holistic approach to health. Many of us in the paleo community often talk about the mind/body connection and the need to reduce stress, but I often wonder how many of us actually live this. I know, I don’t, at least not right now. It is clear in this book that these authors are not just talking the talk. They address the fact that changing our diets, may also require some mental shifts. They offer readers several tips and exercises to help us think positively and stay committed, as some of us make some major changes to our ways of eating and living.
- Explains the science in a digestible fashion. It explains the science behind the paleo diet, proving that this is not a fad weight loss diet, but it is much more about improving our general health. The science is explained in such a way that anyone can read this book and understand the “whys” behind Paleo. Lets face it, many of us do not want to know every last scientific detail, we just want to know enough to “get it” – which is exactly what this book gives you.
- Provides all of the tools and information you need to get started. Like I mentioned earlier, this book answers all of the questions you may have and addresses any reservations. It also provides you with everything you need – information/education, tips & tricks, guidelines on how to create a paleo kitchen, recipes and exercise plans.
- Success stories. Who doesn’t love a good success story? I loved reading these throughout the book. It makes me genuinely happy to read and hear about people taking control of their health and feeling & looking better.
- Recipes. The recipes are awesome! They are delicious and simple to make. I made the Sesame Kale yesterday & it was so so good!
I am convinced that anyone that reads this book, will not only give paleo a try, but will make the leap enthusiastically. This book will teach you exactly how to improve your health and lose any unwanted weight.
Learn more about Dr.Kellyann here and connect with her via Facebook, Twitter & YouTube.
Thanks for the book review! I actually haven’t read any paleo books since going paleo! I should read some!