These luscious lemon bars get a healthier spin with a gluten and grain-free crust, and honey-sweetened filling. A lovely springtime treat and perfect for lemon lovers!
Lemon bars are a classic dessert and especially perfect for springtime. These particular lemon bars get a healthier spin with a gluten and grain-free crust, and honey-sweetened filling.
First off, I love these luscious lemon bars. The crust is buttery with a hint of vanilla, and the texture is just right (not soggy, even after a couple days in the fridge). The filling is full of fresh lemon flavor, and has a beautiful custardy look and feel to it. Plus, they’re simple to make too. Lemon lovers, get ready to bake!
The shortbread-style crust is made with a blend of cassava and almond flour, and tastes magnificent with the filling. Its color is not much different than that of the filling, so they sort of blend right in with one another, but there are indeed two different layers.
As for the bright lemon filling, it’s made with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, raw honey and a bit of arrowroot starch. It’s tangy, not too sweet and very custard-like after baking.
These lovely lemon bars are sure to be a crowd-pleaser and would make a great addition to a Memorial Day spread, Mother’s Day brunch or springtime picnic. But, really, any reason is a good reason to make lemon bars!
Interested in other springtime treats? Check out my grain-free carrot spice bread and grain-free strawberry upside-down cake.
Cheers and enjoy!
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Grain-Free Luscious Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup cassava flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup grass-fed butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup raw honey
- 4 eggs, preferably pasture-raised, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- Organic powdered sugar, to garnish (I recommend the Wholesome brand)
- Line 8x8 baking pan with parchment and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix all the crust ingredients. The mixture will be thick. Press firmly into prepared pan in an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or just until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to add your filling. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very thin. Pour over warm crust and place in 325 degree oven. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the filling is set and no longer jiggles.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 2 hours. Then, place in refrigerator to set for at least another 2 hours before serving. Once set, lift out of pan by grabbing the edges of the parchment paper and slice into squares. If desired, garnish with powdered sugar. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.