Take the chaos out of school mornings and keep a batch of these breakfast cookies on hand! These trail mix cookies are chewy, fueling, and loaded with nutrient-dense ingredients. They’re tasty and more importantly, a guaranteed way to fuel you up while running out the door!
With school somehow around the corner, I think all of us are at least slightly thinking of how our new routine is going to look and dreading the morning rush. Which is why make-ahead breakfast recipes are so important! Whip up your meals the night before and take pleasure in your mornings being a little less chaotic. And these breakfast cookies are perfect for just that!
Why These Breakfast Cookies Make for A Healthy Start
Most grab-and-go breakfasts are loaded with processed oils and sugar. This definitely gives an energy rush, but also a big crash. These trail mix cookies are based around healthy fats to help slow the release of the sugars, provide satiety, and give you a flavor burst in the morning. Plus, the breakfast cookies use raisins, figs, and a bit of honey in place of any processed sugar to keep them sweet – perfect for kids.
Can I Sub The Almond Butter?
Of course! These healthy breakfast cookies work with any nut butter. Personally, I’ve tried both cashew and almond hazelnut. Use what you have on hand. You can also sub the chopped walnuts for pecans – it tastes delicious!
I have yet to meet a kid who doesn’t want to start the morning with cookies! Thankfully these trail mix cookies are both mom and kid-approved. You’ll love them because:
- They’re sweet, but not too sweet
- They pair great with fruit in the morning for a healthy, complete breakfast
- Easy to grab and run out the door
- Healthy fats are great for brain development and focus in the morning
While the ingredient list may seem long, these breakfast cookies are easy to whip up.
- almond meal
- almond butter
- baking powder
- shredded coconut
- flax meal
- chia seeds
- hemp hearts
- dried figs
- avocado oil
- almond milk
Trail Mix Breakfast Cookies
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut unsweetened, shredded
- 1/8 cup flaxmeal
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 3 dried figs chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 tbs avocado oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients except for the raisins, figs, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients except the almond milk.
- Pour wet into dry and mix well.
- Stir in the dried fruit and walnuts. Then the almond milk.
- Grease a cookie sheet and use an ice cream scoop to portion out 12 cookies. Press slightly to flatten.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for ten minutes.
Use these breakfast cookies to help keep you sane this coming year. Take the stress out of mornings by whipping up a big batch for the week and grabbing a couple while heading out the door. These trail mix-based cookies contain real-food ingredients, no processed sugars, and are loaded with healthy fats to fuel you up in the morning rush… without the sugar crash!