Gluten-free lasagna soup is hearty, meaty and bursting with Italian flavors. This easy and healthy comforting soup is great for any night of the week, and sure to be a crowd pleaser!
While delicious, lasagna is a lot of fuss. It can be a fun and worthwhile cooking project to take on, but a shortcut is nice to have in your back pocket. Enter: gluten-free lasagna soup. Everything in one pot (well, except for the cheesy topping) and no layering either!
This gluten-free lasagna soup has it all (and then some too):
- Ground Italian sausage
- Ground turkey or beef
- Marinara sauce
- Tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley
- Chicken, beef or veggie broth
- Gluten-free noodles (broken lasagna noodles, elbows, penne or any shape you like)
- Frozen spinach
- Sea salt and black pepper
And, to bring it all together in lasagna fashion, a delicious cheesy topping made from whole milk cottage cheese and raw Parmesan. If preferred, use ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, or do a mixture of both.
To make this dairy-free, use almond milk ricotta (Kite Hill makes an excellent one) and for added cheesy flavor, mix in nutritional yeast to taste, if desired.
This soup truly is like lasagna in a bowl and is darn filling too, which makes it perfect for the winter months. Serve it with a side salad and maybe even some gluten or grain-free crusty bread, and you’re good to go!
Interested in other healthy soup recipes? Check out my healthy turkey vegetable soup and healthy chicken pot pie soup. This butternut squash curry chicken soup is also wonderful!
Cheers and enjoy!
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE RECIPES? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Gluten-Free Lasagna Soup (with dairy-free option!)
- 1 lb ground Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or grass-fed beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 24 oz jar no sugar added marinara sauce
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth, plus more if you want a thinner soup
- 10 oz gluten-free pasta of choice (broken lasagna noodles, elbows, fusilini, penne, etc.)
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 10 oz whole milk cottage cheese, preferably pasture-raised
- 1/3 cup grated raw Parmesan, preferably pasture-raised
- Black pepper, to taste
- Add Italian sausage and ground meat to large soup pot over medium heat (add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil first, if needed, depending on how lean the meat is). Add Italian seasoning, and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces.
- Once meat is mostly browned, add the onion and garlic. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, or until onion has softened. Then, add the marinara sauce, broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then add the pasta. Reduce heat to keep a low boil, and cook pasta according to package instructions (I recommend erring on the lower end of pasta cooking time).
- Once pasta is done, reduce heat to low and add the spinach and chopped parsley. Cook 2-3 minutes or until spinach is thawed. Taste and add more sea salt, black pepper and/or Italian seasoning, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of the cheesy mixture (see notes for dairy-free topping option).