Dairy-free creamy zucchini soup is light, silky and downright savory. This simple and healthy blended vegetable soup is full of flavor and a delicious way to use up fresh zucchini from your garden.
Zucchini season is still hanging on as we transition into fall, and this soup is perfect for the in-between time. It still honors the produce of the season, but comes together in a light, yet warming and comforting way. And, honestly, I knew this soup would be good, but it came out even better than I anticipated. I love it when that happens!
As for the specifics of this soup, onion, garlic and celery first get sautéed in avocado oil (or olive oil, butter or ghee). Then, in goes the zucchini, yellow potatoes, sea salt and pepper. After a several minutes, the broth is added and then everything cooks down for about 20 minutes. Finally, the soup gets blended together until silky smooth, and that’s it! To serve, add a garnish of raw grated zucchini and/or fresh herbs, if desired. Grain-free or gluten-free crackers are also nice to have on the side.
This creamy zucchini soup works well as an appetizer or accompaniment to a meal, but can even be a light meal all on its own. Personally, I like sipping it out of a big mug as I cook my lunch!
Cheers and enjoy!
Dairy-Free Creamy Zucchini Soup
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cups zucchini, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- 2.5 cups yellow potatoes (Yukon Gold), peeled and diced
- 4 cups good-quality chicken, turkey or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Raw grated zucchini, for garnish, optional
- Fresh herbs such as cilantro, dill, basil or parsley, for garnish, optional
- Add avocado oil (or extra virgin olive oil, butter or ghee) to a large stock pot over medium heat. Once heated through, add the onion, garlic and celery, and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally for a few minutes.
- Next, add the zucchini and potatoes, and stir. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Then, add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover partially with a lid (keep it ajar a little bit). Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to a high-powered blender container (may need to do in two batches depending on your blender). Blend until smooth. Return blended soup to pot and taste. Add more sea salt and/or black pepper, if desired.
- If desired, serve with fresh herbs of choice and/or raw grated zucchini. Store any leftovers in a covered container in the fridge and eat within 2-3 days.