I am in search of the perfect paleo chicken mole recipe. So, if you have one, please share… I would love to try it! I made this one a few months ago. It was good, but not quite chocolatey enough. Over the weekend, I used Ingrid Hoffman's recipe as inspiration, but added my own paleo take and made it in a crock-pot, of course!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 spicy peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons almond butter
2 cups chicken broth (I used beef broth cause that's all I had & it turned out fine)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 chicken breasts
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Place a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the spicy peppers and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the almond butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Place the chicken breasts in a crock pot and add mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. 5 hours into cooking, remove lid and use 2 forks to shred chicken the best you can. Do this again 1 hour before cooking time is over.
- Transfer the mole to a serving dish and serve with cilantro, lime, avocado, tomatoes and cabbage.