Easy Strawberry Chia Jam with cardamom and vanilla comes together quickly and is made with simple ingredients. Thickened with chia seeds and minimally sweetened with raw honey.
This easy strawberry chia jam with cardamom and vanilla comes together quickly and is made with simple ingredients. It’s thickened with chia seeds and minimally sweetened with raw honey, though it can be made completely unsweetened too.
Of all the jams, strawberry has always been my favorite. I like other flavors too, but for me, strawberry just can’t be beat. And, while classic is great, it’s sometimes nice to add a little extra pizazz — in this case, cardamom and vanilla. Neither flavor is overpowering, but both add a lovely layer of flavor that complements the fresh strawberry so well.
As for making this jam, it couldn’t be easier. There’s minimal ingredients, no canning and the process is quick. It’s really quite slick for making a small batch of jam. Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be used for other varieties of jam too. Just replace the strawberries with the equivalent amount of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. I think a mixed berry would be nice as well.
Oddly enough, I rarely eat jam, but I admit that it’s nice to have sometimes for yogurt or grain-free baked goods. I bet it’d be delicious mixed into this strawberry banana green smoothie bowl as well. I’ve been enjoying this particular jam on a warm grain-free tortilla with sunflower seed or almond butter. It takes me right back to my PB&J days as a kid, offering a bit of nostalgia with every bite.
Cheers and enjoy!
Easy Strawberry Chia Jam with Cardamom and Vanilla
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- 1-2 Tbsp raw honey, optional
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat berries and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Allow berries to heat through and start to break down a bit (mixture will start to bubble). Then, mash berries with a potato masher until broken up to your desired consistency. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Next, stir in the chia seeds and cardamom. Once mixed well, taste and if desired, add 1-2 Tbsp of raw honey.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Cool jam in saucepan until it reaches room temperature. Then, pour into jars and cover with lids. Place in the refrigerator and use within 2 weeks or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.