Gluten-free quinoa tabbouleh salad is a delicious way to savor the bounties of summer. With refreshing cucumbers, vibrant cherry tomatoes, and fresh mint and parsley, this healthy Mediterranean salad is a garden delight.
Summer is almost over, but there’s still time to enjoy its wonderful produce. This light and fresh salad is a great way to use up those garden goodies! And, it’s so easy to make too.
Other than the quinoa, this rendition stays close to the classic tabbouleh salad recipe. Traditionally, it’s made with bulgar wheat, but the swap for quinoa makes it gluten-free and still adds that fluffy grain texture tabbouleh is known for. And, to add extra flavor, the quinoa is cooked in chicken or vegetable broth. But, besides the grain change, everything else follows suit: cucumbers, tomatoes, green onion, fresh parsley and mint, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
Not only do I adore the flavors of this salad, but I love how customizable it is as well. Make it to taste and adjust as you like — add more or less herbs and/or veggies, throw on some feta, drizzle on more olive oil, etc. And, it’s an especially nice side to grilled chicken or fish.
Interested in other salad recipes to enjoy during this last bit of summer? Check out my creamy herb and cucumber salad and pepperoni “pasta” salad. This zucchini noodle, bacon and tomato salad is another good one!
Cheers and enjoy!
Gluten-Free Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
For the salad:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups Persian or English cucumbers, sliced
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bring broth, 1/2 tsp sea salt and the rinsed quinoa to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Then, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5-minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, green onions, herbs and cooled quinoa. In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and stir well to coat. Taste and add more sea salt, black pepper or fresh herbs, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.