Flourless pumpkin spice chocolate chip blondies are healthy, packed with fiber and bursting with warm fall flavors. These blondies are also nut-free, dairy-free and naturally-sweetened!
It’s the time of year for all the pumpkin spice things and these fall-inspired blondies do no disappoint. They’re soft, gooey, chocolatey and have just enough pumpkin spice flavor. And, not too sweet either. They’re even secretly healthy thanks to the fiber kick from the navy beans (as an alternative, great northern beans also work great in this recipe).
But, enough bean talk! Beyond the beans, these blondies also feature sunflower seed butter (or other seed/nut butter of choice), raw honey, dark chocolate chips, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spices, sea salt, egg, baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Simply blend, mix in the dark chocolate chips, pour into pan, top with more chocolate chips and bake!
Heads up that there is a slight possibility the blondies will turn green after baking, but please don’t fret! This is a chemical reaction of the chlorophyll in the sunflower seeds and baking soda. It is completely safe and does not affect the taste of the blondies at all. To counteract this though, I used less baking soda than I normally would and added more apple cider vinegar (I always use a little bit when baking with baking soda to create a little more rise in baked goods). Acid, like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice tames the reaction. Another way around it is to simply use a different seed or nut butter. However, with the ratios I used in this recipe, the blondies did not turn green! It took a few batches to figure out the ratios, but the third try was a charm.
Cheers and enjoy!
Flourless Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 15 oz can *navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup *unsweetened sunflower seed butter or nut butter of choice (see note below about sunflower seed butter)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 egg, preferably pasture-raised
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, to the food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides and re-blending as needed. Stir in 1/2 cup of the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and eat within 3-5 days.