Finally! A dessert you can feel good about eating. Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert made from cream, milk, sweetener and gelatin. Rich, creamy desserts are my favorite. I love custards, puddings and creme brulee. I’ll take them over baked goods any day!
Panna Cotta is such a perfect dessert. It is simple to make, uses the nourishing food, gelatin and you can easily change the flavors based on what is in season.
This dessert uses gelatin to help it set. According to the book, Nourishing Traditions and the Weston A. Price foundation, gelatin is comprised of the amino acids, glycine and proline and it is loaded with health benefits. I only recommend this brand because it is from grass-fed cows.
Health Benefits of Gelatin
- Supports skin, hair and nail health
- Assists the liver in detoxing
- Healing to the digestive tract
- It’s full of collagen, which helps reduce wrinkles and cellulite
- Beneficial for the joints
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves immune function
- Can assist with hormone balance and weight regulation
I love the combination of coconut and pumpkin in this recipe. It makes for a delicious fall treat!
Pumpkin Panna Cotta (dairy-free)
6 to 8 wine glasses, martini glasses or 8 ounce mason jars
1 tablespoon gelatin (I recommend this brand because it is from grass-fed cows)
1 cup coconut milk (Homemade or I like this brand)
2 cups coconut cream (I used this kind)
1.5 cups pumpkin puree (I used this kind)
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
top with coconut whipped cream and chopped almonds (optional)
- Place the milk in a small bowl and add the gelatin to it. Stir to combine and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a medium sized heavy saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut cream, pumpkin puree, honey or maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Whisk until well combined. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and gelatin mixture to the saucepan and vigorously whisk until well combined and the gelatin has dissolved. Make sure the mixture does not come to a boil. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and pour the mixture evenly into individual serving glasses. Allow it to sit on the counter top to cool slightly.
- Refrigerate until set, 6 to 8 hours.
Click HERE to PIN this post!