Celebrate Halloween and fall with a healthier treat! These easy-to-make pumpkin spice chocolate sunbutter bars have three delicious layers and contain no gluten, grains, dairy or nuts.
Halloween is upon us, which makes it the perfect time for these pumpkin spice chocolate sunbutter bars. Made of three delicious layers, these decadent bars are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. And, even better that they’re made of healthier ingredients and less sweet than the processed, store-bought treats out there.
Here’s the thing, Halloween doesn’t have to be about conventional sweets and candies that are readily available everywhere. I think we can celebrate with better quality goodies that won’t wreck our gut or leave us with a sugar headache (granted, if that’s worth it to you, do your thing without regrets and move on). And, if you ask me, homemade treats with good-quality ingredients taste way better anyway!
While these bars do have three layers, they are quite easy to make and don’t involve much effort. Personally, I think the hardest part is waiting for them to set, but the wait is oh-so worth it! Each layer offers a different texture and flavor, but combined, they are a match made in heaven. The bit of pumpkin spice flavor adds a little something special for the season, too.
Cheers and enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Sunbutter Bars
For the crust:
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the chocolate layer:
- 3/4 cup good-quality dark chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup 100% and 1/4 cup 70%)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut flour, cinnamon, sea salt, raw honey and softened coconut oil. Use a fork to incorporate until a thick mixture forms. Then, add to prepared pan and pat down in an even layer with your hands. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Once done, cool for 10-15 mintues before adding next layer.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, mix together the sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, raw honey, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt. Mix for a few minutes or until smooth and well-mixed. Then, pour over cooled crust layer. Place in fridge to set for 30-45 mintues.
- In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil. Once melted, pour over cooled sunbutter layer. Tilt the pan around to spread the chocolate in an even layer.
- Place back in the fridge to set for another 20-30 minutes. Then, cut into 16 squares. Store any leftovers in the fridge.