Pumpkin spice takes a savory twist in this healthy, fall-inspired pumpkin spice turkey meatloaf. After all, who says pumpkin spice is only for treats?
This is definitely not your average meatloaf. No tomato anything or breadcrumbs, but instead, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. It is the fall meatloaf and hey, don’t knock it until you try it!
Other than the obvious ground turkey, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree, this meatloaf has fresh garlic and onion, egg, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cumin, turmeric, sea salt and pepper. There’s no gluten, grains or dairy, but so much flavor. I love the spice, savoriness and slight sweetness it offers.
While I prefer shaping this meatloaf by hand on a baking sheet, it could definitely be baked in a loaf pan too. Baking time should still be the same, but more importantly, be sure to use a meat thermometer to know when it’s done.
Meanwhile, I highly recommend serving this meatloaf with roasted sweet potato or winter squash. It is the perfect pairing and personally, I also like to have some sautéed cabbage (really delicious with a bit of grated apple and onion) or kale on the side too.
Cheers and enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice Turkey Meatloaf
- 2 lb ground turkey (I used a mix of white and dark meat -- I don't recommend all white meat)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or grass-fed butter
- 1 egg, preferably pasture-raised
- 1-1/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the onion to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Then, add the avocado oil or butter to a small skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic. Saute a few minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- To a large bowl, add the ground turkey, egg, pumpkin puree, coconut flour, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cumin, turmeric, sea salt and black pepper. Lastly, add the slightly cooled onion mixture. Mix well with your hands, but be careful not to overmix.
- Place meat mixture onto prepared baking sheet and shape into an even loaf with your hands. Try to keep it level, so it cooks evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Once done, let sit 10 mintues before slicing.