Slow cooker Moroccan chicken is savory, full of spices and a little sweet. This tender shredded meat is healthy, flavorful, comforting and completely irresistible. Alongside some veggies, it makes a lovely meal on a cold night.
Slow cooker meals are hard to beat, especially when it comes to tender, pulled meat. I’m a sucker for it. It’s great for creating bowls and oh, how I love a good bowl meal.
The other thing I love about slow cooker meals? It’s usually super easy in terms of prep. In this case, it’s as simple as can be because everything goes into the slow cooker at once and there’s no sautéing, searing, etc. Toss the ingredients in, cook, shred the chicken and serve!
I adore all the flavors in this recipe and there’s many. The chicken cooks with onion, garlic, fresh ginger, paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, black pepper, sea salt, lemon juice, tomato paste, chicken broth, raisins and carrots. Together, it creates an incredibly delicious outcome!
Meanwhile, my favorite way to eat this Moroccan chicken is in a bowl with mashed white sweet potato and kale salad, but it tastes amazing with other veggie combinations too. And, if you eat white rice, that would no doubt be a winner as well.
Cheers and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
- 2 - 2.5 lb boneless skinless chicken, breasts, thighs or a mix of both (I like a mix of both)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Heaping 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup homemade or good-quality store-bought chicken broth, plus extra, if needed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish, optional
- Place chicken, onion, carrots, garlic, ginger and raisins in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a small dish, mix together the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, allspice, sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle over chicken mixture.
- Next, whisk together the chicken broth, lemon juice and tomato paste in a medium size bowl. Then, pour over the chicken and spices.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Once done, shred chicken with two forks. Taste and adjust flavor, as desired. If too much liquid has been absorbed, add a bit more broth.
- To serve, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.