Creamy and smooth with the perfect amount of richness, this healthy chocolate sunbutter banana smoothie is a true delight. Top it with your favorite tasty additions and enjoy for breakfast, a snack or even as dessert!
Oddly enough, I’m not much of a smoothie person and generally prefer something more savory for a meal. But, sometimes, a smoothie just hits the spot. I generally consider this as more of a treat though, but hey, that’s me. Do whatever works for you!
The base of this smoothie comes from frozen bananas, which adds plenty of natural sweetness on its own, plus lots of creaminess too. In fact, it’s the only sweet ingredient in the whole smoothie. There’s no refined sugars, sweeteners or dried fruit. I like using bananas that are just-ripe with no spots, but feel free to use a more or less ripened banana depending on your preferences.
In addition to the banana, there’s unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I like Malk or Three Trees brand), plain Greek yogurt, sunbutter (sunflower seed butter), cocoa powder, flax meal, chia seeds, vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt. Blend it all up and then go crazy (if you want!) with the toppings. I think any of the following are a fantastic idea: drizzle of extra sunbutter, cacao nibs, banana slices, hemp seeds, granola, sliced almonds, unsweetened coconut, etc. In the end, you’ll probably want a spoon to eat it (to me, that’s what makes a good smoothie).
On a final note, if sunbutter isn’t your thing or you don’t have any on hand, almond or cashew butter are great alternatives. Peanut butter works too if you eat and tolerate it. If you avoid dairy, feel free to omit the yogurt or use a good-quality dairy-free yogurt instead. Make the smoothie work for you!
Cheers and enjoy!
Healthy Chocolate Sunbutter Banana Smoothie
- 2 medium frozen bananas (I freeze mine when they're just ripe, but have no spots -- do whatever you like in terms of ripeness)
- 1 cup good-quality unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, preferably grass-fed
- 2.5 Tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened sunbutter (sunflower seed butter)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- Add all the smoothie ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor, as desired.
- Divide between two glasses and top with whatever garnishes you like. See some garnish ideas above!