Thai food is my favorite! So, I decided to do a curry with the leftover homemade coconut milk. You can never go wrong with Thai flavors – lemongrass & kaffir lime leaves… they somehow manage to make a meal both comforting and refreshing!
This dish is traditionally served with rice. If you don’t include rice in your diet, it’s great over cauliflower rice too!
1 lb. chicken thigh (boneless, skinless) – cut into 1 inch chunks
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoon green curry paste
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
*3 inch lemongrass
1 zucchini, sliced
1 red bell pepper sliced
2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
4 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups homemade coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add garlic, lemongrass and ginger, saute for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Toss chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and brown on all sides. Use more coconut oil, if needed.
- Add green curry paste and make sure all chicken is coated.
- Add rest of vegetables until lightly sauteed (just a minute or two).
- Add coconut milk and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft, but still firm and colorful.
- Top with fresh basil & serve!
*Lemongrass – Use the pale yellow portion, slice it thinly and place it in the food processor. For more details, here is a great step by step guide.
Alisa Boboltz says
Looks wonderful! I need to try my hand at making homemade coconut milk too.
Alisa – The second method is really easy… I haven’t bought premade coconut milk for the longest time now.
OMG I just LOVED this recipe!! I recently started eating more of a high protein, low carb diet because of insulin resistance, and have started a blog to write about my journey to wellness. I was looking for blogs of similar nature, when I found yours today. Its a treasure house for recipes for me! So I’ve added this to my blog roll. I made this one tonight, and the entire family loved it! I even took your suggestion, looked for the recipe of cauliflower rice and ate it with that! It was OUT OF THIS WORLD! I LOVE rice..and kind of missed it. But now I will not. Cauliflower rice rocks!
SO glad you liked the recipe, Swati!
May I post this recipe on my blog? And give you full credit with your link? I have passed this recipe link to so many people…because its amazingly yummy. Let me know if that is alright with you!
Hi Swati! Sure, go for it! Glad you liked it!