Although I don’t feel particularly sentimental about Valentine’s Day, I am Armenian after all, so I’ll take any opportunity to celebrate. In college going to see the Vagina Monologues was pretty much a ritual, followed by big dinners with girlfriends. Since I’ve been with Brooke, we have opted to avoid the busy restaurants and cook a nice meal together at home, taking a break from our hectic lives to relax and celebrate us.
On our menu this year…
Cocktail: Ginger/Lemon w/vodka (Ciroc because it’s gluten-free) for him & w/soda-water for me
Entree: Sri-Lankan grilled chicken w/ cucumber-salad
Dessert: Slow-cooked pears with Coconut Ice Cream
I started these right when I began prepping dinner and they were ready to go by the time we finished eating. I usually top them with coconut ice cream, but I didn’t have any the day that I was shooting these for the blog, so I paired them with warm strawberries. They are delicious with this Paleo Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream from Hollywood Homestead.
Simply Sweet Slow Cooker Pears
4 bosc pears, peeled, cored and halved
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons honey
Coconut milk ice-cream
- Peel pears, cut in half and remove core. Try your best to cut the pears evenly.
- Melt the coconut oil and add mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss pears in the mixture and coat really well. Place in slow-cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until pears are tender and can easily be pierced.
- Serve with coconut ice-cream and top with cinnamon.